To dilly-dally is divine.



I have an essay due every week till November, so...


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



I was flipping through the Sunday Telegraph when shock! horror! the pointy-tipped Esplanade lashed out at me between stories of stuttering Sydney teens, kangaroo meat exports and train timetables.

The ad is from the Singapore Tourism Board and is fucking hilarious.




Apologies but this is the best shot (stupid washed-out newspaper print) I could get of the copy, which reads:

An island of contrasts, Singapore is home to modern architecture marvels and historical splendour. You can't miss the Esplanade, our landmark arts centre, which is reminiscent of a durian. From avant-garde theatre to traditional Chinese opera, you'll find an abundance of art here. Mythical creatures and youthful self-expression exist in harmony. And whilst you meander along the five-foot ways in Chinatown, five-star luxury is never far away. So call your travel agent ... etc etc...

Hello, STB copywriters? Were you smoking crack? What the fuck were you guys thinking?? The Esplanade, "which is reminiscent of a durian"??? "Abundance of art"? Who says that?? "Good golly, there is such an abundance of art in Singapore; I've just been to see Dim Sum Dollies at the Esplanade, which, incidentally, my good man, is reminiscent of a durian."

I like the bit about finding "mythical creatures and youthful self-expression exist(ing) in harmony". Seen any unicorns and centaurs at The Heeren lately? The only mythical creatures blessed with youthful self-expression I know of were the Far East Kids.

On a slightly different topic, my vote for the "Hah?? Say again?" quote of the day is from British PM and erstwhile sage Tony Blair on Central China Television's political programme, Top Talk:

What they understand, they do not fear.
What they do not understand, they can fear.

- On how people in other countries needn't be afraid of China.


2 Responses to “I have an essay due every week till November, so...”

  1. Blogger Manic Mummy 

    I bet the likes of Kim-Kyna Tan was responsible for that copy...

    Aiyoh, eh...

  2. Blogger dee 

    so biatchy!! hehe...

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 


About me

Previous posts

Archived babble

Things to see