To dilly-dally is divine.



Uh oh


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



What do green-freak environmentalists and ultra-conservative politicians have in common? They both agree that the world is fast running out of oil – the so-called ‘peak oil theory’ - and when that happens, it really will be the end of the world as we know it.

I had to do an essay on peak oil over the week and the whole thing has been scaring the shit out of me. For any of you interested, read websites like
Peak Oil: Life After The Oil Crash and peakoil.org. They sound a little like crazy-nutter/conspiracy-theorist types but when my politics lecturer sends in a business prof from Macquarie University to talk to us about peak oil – and he clearly is a little freaked out about the whole thing – you know something’s a bit off.

The theory’s increasingly finding favour with scientists, geologists, oil analysts, intellectual/academic types, oil corporations and some governments (France and the US, for example). And the stats and geological evidence are all there. It basically predicts drastically declining oil reserves – and the end of our massive overdependence on cheap oil, skyrocketing oil prices (to US$300-US$400 a barrel), the collapse of transportation systems, the decimation of financial markets and currencies, clashes between governments, social upheaval and revolt etc etc. You get the general picture. Some are predicting this will happen by the next year; the more moderate types are thinking 10-20 years from now, latest.

Others say it’s complete horseshit, that it’s just another nefarious plan hatched by the big oil corps to jack up profits and by US military strategists to wave the flag and conquer other (oil-rich) territories.

Then again, I dunno. It doesn’t help that articles like
this one in The New York Times (The New York Times!!) on how to prepare yourself for Armageddon (admittedly not an Armageddon related to oil, but still…) kinda make me want to lock myself up and tremble in a corner of my own underground bunker that’s stocked to the rafters with flashlights, energy bars and mineral water.

In other news, me and Mich are planning to go for Mass this Sunday. Except for the odd wedding and funeral, I haven’t been to church proper in about 11 years. I’m going not because I’m freaking out about an apocalyptic future or anything like that but because I kinda prayed for something last month and it kinda came true. How very pure-of-heart. I am NOT, however, going for confession.


2 Responses to “Uh oh”

  1. Blogger Manic Mummy 

    My love, good luck at church. Hopefully the lightning won't char you when you step in. *kidding*

    Anyway, I think I'm going to start going to church, too. Just to pray for the baby. So yeah, see you.

  2. Anonymous Anonymous 

    we haven't made it for mass yet...
    but we will. without a question or a doubt. for shore!

    "Give thanks, with a grateful heart. GIve thanks. (Give Thanks) Give THanks!"

    ;p

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 


About me

Previous posts

Archived babble

Things to see